Essex boy says he hates beetroot and would never eat it but Ive sneaked it into loads of recipes and hes none the wiser. This is one example. The beetroot gives this sauce amazing rich red colour. I knew it was going to be a winner and he said it was the tastiest spag bol hes ever had. Please give this a try, especially at Halloween. It looks bloody gory and tasty!
- 2 onions (2 small or 1 large)
- 300g cooked beetroot
- 375g pork mince
- 0.75 tbsp smoked paprika
- a pinch of chilli flakes
- 500g Onion and Garlic bolognese sauce
- 150-200ml water
- 1 chicken stock pot
- 350g spaghetti
- small bunch parsley
- 60g cheddar, grated
- grated parmesan to taste
- Put salted water in a large pot to boil for the spaghetti.
- Halve and thinly slice the onion.
- Coarsley grate the beetroot.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a large frying pan on high heat. Put the diced onion and mince into the pan, season with salt and pepper and cook until mince is browned and onion is slightly softened.
- Add the smoked paprika, chilli flakes and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the grated beetroot, bolognese sauce, water and chicken stock pot. Simmer gently until sauce has thickened (about 10 minutes).
- Meanwhile cook the spaghetti.
- Roughly chop the parsley.
- Once the ragu has thickened, stir in half the parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the cooked spaghetti to the sauce in a large oven proof dish and toss together. Sprinkle over the grated cheddar, some parmesan and the rest of the chopped parsley.
- Pop under a hot grill for a couple of minutes until the cheese and melted and bubbling.