Those of you not familiar with it will probably wonder what Rocky Road is. Scrumptious, indulgent and easy to make, it is simply a refrigerator cake composed of melted chocolate, crushed biscuits, dried fruit, etc.
This gets pressed into a pan and then refrigerated until set and solid and then you can cut it into squares to eat. It is said to be Prince William and Harry's favourite dessert.
The recipe I am sharing with you today is a play on that theme, as well as an unusual take on the American S'mores. These are scrumptious, indulgent, and very easy to make.
Instead of crushed and crumbled biscuits/cookies, it uses crisp rice cereal and salty pretzels. Mini ones, or larger ones broken into bits. I think the smaller ones work better.
There is no dried fruit in it, but there is plenty of chocolate . . .
Two kinds are melted together . . . dark chocolate and milk chocolate . . .
along with butter, golden syrup and a quantity of mini marshmallows.
If you haven't got golden syrup you can use corn syrup. It will work fine. Once these ingredients have all melted and are amalgamated . . .
You stir in the pretzels and the crisp cereal . . . mixing everything well together.
You will need an 8-inch square pan lined with aluminium foil, large enough to be able to lift the squares out when done.
The chocolate cereal mixture gets spooned into the prepared pan and then lightly pressed to compact it a bit. Don't press too hard . . .
The remaining marshmallows get sprinkled over top . . . these two press down lightly so that they adhere to the chocolate mixture a bit. Again, not too hard.
After chilling for a couple hours until solid you take the pan out of the fridge and pop it under a hot grill to gild the marshmallows on top, golden brown . . . that's it. Ooey, gooey, sweet, salty, rich and indulgent, creamy and crisp . . . chocolaty. What more could you ask for?
Yield: Makes 16 bars
Author: Marie Rayner
Rocky Road S'Mores
Sweet, salty, gooey, crisp and chocolaty!
- 75g butter (1/3 cup)
- 1 TBS golden syrup
- 150g white mini marshmallows, divided (3 cups)
- 200g dark chocolate, broken into bits (7 ounces)
- 100g milk chocolate, broken into bits (3 1/2 ounces)
- 50g crisp rice cereal (1 1/2 cups)
- 100g salted mini pretzels (about 2 1/4 cups)
How to cook Rocky Road S'Mores
- Line an 8 inch square pan with aluminium foil. Set aside.
- Place the butter, golden syrup and half of the marshmallows into a heavy bottomed saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring until melted and amalgamated. Stir in the chocolate, stirring until the chocolate melts. Remove from heat and stir in the rice cereal and pretzels. Press this mixture into the prepared pan. Scatter the remaining marshmallows over top, pressing down lightly. Place in the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat the grill/broiler to high. Pop the rocky road (still in the pan) under the grill for about 45 to 60 seconds until toasted golden brown. Remove immediately. Let cool.
- Cut into squares with a wet knife to serve. Store in an airtight container.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @marierayner5530 on instagram and hashtag it #EnglishKitchen
Created using The Recipes Generator
Your children are sure to love this sweet treat. The adults also. I think they would also be lovely on Holiday cookie trays. Any way you choose to enjoy them, one thing is for certain, they WILL be enjoyed!