Bean and Barley Salad is a hearty and delicious side dish to make ahead for summer. Made with pearl barley, fresh vegetables, beans and a sweet and tangy dressing. Easy to make ahead and enjoy all week long.
Bean and Barley Salad is really filling and flavorful. It makes a great lunch that you can make ahead and keep on hand. I find that if I have something that I can just grab out of the fridge, I am less likely to grab an unhealthy snack.
PIN IT TO PINTEREST LATER:
How to Make Bean and Barley Salad:
- Cook pearl barley according to package directions and set aside to cool.
- Chop onions, cucumbers, celery, garlic, and herbs. Shred carrots.
- Mix dressing by combining vinegar, olive oil, sugar, salt and red pepper flakes.
- Add barley to a large bowl with vegetables, beans and dressing and mix well.
- Chop some fresh herbs like parsley and rosemary and stir into the salad to add more delicious flavors. Rosemary or basil are also great options.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight before serving.
Bean and Barley Salad will keep in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Stir well before serving.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Use any combination of fresh vegetables that you have on hand. This is one of those dishes that just gets better the next day as the flavors meld together. I love that it stays fresh for days.
Pearl barley works better for this salad recipe than instant barley, which can get mushy. Farro or quinoa would work well too. Look for pearl barley near the whole grains at your grocery store or it’s easy to order from Amazon.
I love this vegetable chopper for making quick work of fresh salads.
One of the easiest things that I've ever made! You just can't believe how delicious this simple recipe is.
The southern fried favorite! My kids can't get enough of this crispy and delicious summer squash.
Battered and deep fried for a southern classic. Great as a side dish or dip it in ranch dressing for a crispy snack.
A quick and easy side dish with tons of flavor! Onions and celery add a delicious crunch to the beans and the tangy dressing brings it all together.
This is one of those recipes that I make all summer long. The cool crisp cucumbers and onions with the sweet and tangy dressing makes a refreshing side dish for any meal.
This Bean and Barley Salad goes great with any meal on the grill like marinated pork chops, steaks, grilled burgers or salmon. Add it to your weekly meal prep for an easy lunch or side dish to round out your favorite meals.
- 3 cups cooked pearl barley
- 1 heaping cup diced cucumbers
- 3/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs like parsley and thyme
- Mix barley, beans, cucumbers, onion, celery, carrots and garlic together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together vinegar, olive oil, sugar, salt and red pepper flakes. Mix until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour over bean and barley mixture. Stir in herbs.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Stir to mix well before serving.
Store in an airtight container up to 4 days in refrigerator. Stir before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 257mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 4gSugar: 11gProtein: 3g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.