What is shepherd's pie?
Here's what Wikipedia had to say about that!
Cottage pie or shepherd's pie is a type of savory pie. It is made with minced meat, with mashed potato on top. It comes from the United Kingdom and Ireland. The dish is now popular worldwide.
The name “cottage pie” was first used at the end of the 18th century. It was around that time that the poorer people of Britain, people who lived in cottages in the country, started using potatoes as an everyday food. Originally, a pie made with any kind of meat and mashed potato was called a “cottage pie”.
In modern British English, the dish is usually called “cottage pie” if it is made with beef. If it is made with lamb it is usually called “shepherd's pie” (because a shepherd looks after sheep).
Who knew??? Ours is made with ground beef but we're still calling it Shepherd's Pie, ha! 🙂
How long to cook shepherd’s pie?
Our recipe only takes about 15 minutes to prep and 30 minutes to bake. This makes it a perfect recipe to cook on a weeknight.
Yummaliciousness is coming your way!
How to make shepherd’s pie?
Brown 1 1/2 pounds ground beef with 1 chopped onion until browned and crumbly. Add in a peas and carrots (I loved those when I was a kid) and your seasonings. Give it a good stir and let all those yummy flavors simmer about 5 minutes or so.
Once that mixture has thickened up a bit go ahead and pour into a 13×9-inch baking dish. Take a carton of prepared mashed potatoes (this is the best part) and microwave those a couple of minutes until they soften up.
Spread potatoes over the meat mixture. Get it real smooth so you can impress your family. 🙂
You're gonna bake this in a 350°F oven about 30 minutes or until the whole thing is kind of bubbly and warmed completely through.
Then, thoroughly enjoy!!!
What to serve with this simple shepherd’s pie?
A nice fresh and crispy side salad seems like the perfect compliment to this recipe. Some people like to serve shepherd's pie over biscuits or even thick slices of garlic toast.
Here are a few other ideas:
- roasted Brussels sprouts
- sweet and savory broccoli salad
- baked sweet potatoes
- carrot and raisin salad
- apple, spinach salad with warm vanilla bean dressing
- homemade biscuits
- homemade bread
How to freeze shepherd's pie?
This is the perfect recipe to put in your freezer! In fact, it's part of our Freezer Menu Plans. If you're making one you might as well make two. 🙂
Here's how you can pop one in your freezer to have on hand for a busy day.
1. Pour meat mixture into a 13×9-inch disposable foil pan. Spoon mashed potatoes over the top and spread until smooth. Let cool.
2. Cover with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Label and freeze.
3. When ready to cook, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Bake in a 350°F oven approximately 30 minutes or until warmed through. Serve over biscuits or garlic Texas toast, if desired.
See those darling “baby cards”??? Those are included with our Freezer Menu Plan so you can label all your freezer recipes!
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 12 oz pkg frozen peas and carrots
- 1 pkg brown gravy mix
- 14.5 oz can low-sodium beef broth
- 2 Tbsps Worcestershire sauce
- 32 oz carton refrigerated mashed potatoes
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion until crumbly and no longer pink; drain and return to skillet. Stir in vegetables, gravy mix, broth and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Heat potatoes according to package directions.
- Pour meat mixture into a 13x9-inch baking dish. Spoon mashed potatoes over the top and spread until smooth.
- Bake in a 350°F oven approximately 30 minutes or until warmed through. Serve over biscuits or garlic Texas toast, if desired.
Looking for more yummy meals? This recipe is from week seven of our freezer menu plans, including this meal + 59 other AMAZING recipes (and 12 desserts too)! You'll also get lifetime membership in our private Facebook group, full of other families encouraging one another to make dinner each night together too.
These are the BEST MENU PLANS on the planet (and, the only menu plan that ship all the grocery lists, menu plans and recipe cards right out to you ~ no downloading or hunting down recipes on your phone at dinnertime ever again!) Go HERE to learn more. I know you're going to love these!
If you need a little more menu inspiration, go HERE.